A bit about the role:
The fundraising team is responsible for raising around £600k a year – providing vital funds for the charity’s services. This money is raised through appeals and individual donations, corporate giving, donations from churches, schools and other community groups, legacies and in-memoriam donations, peer-to-peer fundraising, organised events such as the Sleepout and Skydive, and attendance at community events.
Which is where you fit in…
The team is looking for an enthusiastic individual to help increase its presence across the county. This is achieved in part through attendance at community events organised by other organisations – including fairs and fetes (eg Findon Sheep Fair, Littlehampton Town Fair, Worthing Rotary parade), supermarket collections, and sporting events (eg Worthing RunFest, Littlehampton 10k).
We attend these events to:
- Talk about Turning Tides’ work
- Foster better understanding and compassion in the community
- Show support to people who are taking part in events to fundraise for the charity
- Fundraise to support the charity’s services
This role is key to ensuring sufficient volunteer support at these events, by overseeing the events volunteer team. We would like volunteers to feel fully prepared for the events they are attending, and supported to ensure that they not only enjoy the experience but know it’s also worthwhile.
In turn, you will be supported throughout by the fundraising team – helping to connect Turning Tides with new and existing supporters as you talk confidently and passionately about the charity’s work
Whether it is hours or days, the time you give really will make a difference – inspiring others to support our work while raising vital funds for the charity.
What will I be doing?
We need you to be able to effectively communicate with our current fundraising volunteers, to coordinate and support them as they help with us fundraising and promotional events throughout the year. We will support you fully to enjoy and develop your role and in turn you will support them to enjoy their experience of volunteering.
You will be helping us by:
- Communicating upcoming volunteer opportunities and securing appropriate volunteer attendance for it to run smoothly. This could involve making phone calls, emails, and polls to coordinate and schedule cover
- Ensuring that all volunteers have the items required to run the stall or community event
- Checking in and out any fundraising equipment used such as the gazebo, collection tins and cashless donation points
- Working with the Community Fundraising Officer to ensure we are maximising fundraising opportunities in the community
- Promptly thanking our volunteers for their time after the event
It is Turning Tides’ hope and expectation that as a volunteer you will:
- Be inclusive and welcoming.
- communicate with staff on duty
- Be flexible to the needs of the staff member on duty
- Abide by the Confidentiality, Professional Boundaries and Health and Safety Policies always
Times and commitment:
This is a flexible and ongoing role. Events often fall on weekends and some travel will be required. Ideally it would be for at least a few hours every month, which would increase during the Spring and Summer months. The role could be grown over time and would suit someone that relishes connecting with others in the community and providing support to other volunteers to ensure their experiences are positive.
What training will I receive?
Every volunteer regardless of role will have their initial induction. The induction will cover Professional Boundaries, Safeguarding, and Equality and Diversity and you will be issued with a volunteer handbook and code of conduct. You will also have a site specific health and safety site specific induction. There will be a chance for you to ask any questions.
Each role has specific online training that you need to commit to complete. Dependant on role this can be between 30 mins to 1 hr. This will be discussed further at your induction.
All of Turning Tides’ roles require two-character references. These references do not need to be employment references; however, we cannot accept references from family members.
A Driver’s licence is required for this role.
If you have any further queries please contact Isobel on 07749 491285 or email email@example.com