Volunteer Van Driver
A bit about the role:
To drive the Turning Tides van carrying out deliveries and collections of items (including furniture) usually from people’s homes either or storage unit or Projects.
What goes on here?
At Turning Tides we know that anyone’s life can spiral into homelessness. We bring together compassionate individuals and organisations to transform the lives of people in our local community and change perceptions of homelessness.
We provide a warm safe space to listen to anyone who comes to us for help. Local people experiencing homelessness are supported and empowered to become confident and find the strength and belief in themselves to create a brighter future.
Together we can make a difference and end homelessness where you live.
What will I be doing?
- To drive the Turning Tides van carrying out deliveries and collections of items (including furniture) usually from people’s homes either or storage unit or Projects.
- To volunteer as part of a team alongside a van assistant, occasionally you may be asked to pick up and drop off the assistant/s at the beginning and end of each shift.
- To act at all times as a representative of Turning Tides in public, by adhering to the speed limit and all other motoring laws and to show other road users and pedestrians every possible courtesy, including ensuring people can pass by safely when the van is parked.
- To provide a high level of customer service by being polite and respectful to customers and supporters alike, and to ensure that items being delivered or collected are handled and transported carefully. To contact the office immediately if there are any problems attending a delivery or collection.
- To immediately report to the Donations Coordinator any problems experienced during your volunteer duty such as shortages of fuel, damage to the van or customer complaints.
- To record the mileage in the record book at the end of every duty.
What Training will I receive?
Turning Tides offers volunteers training so your time volunteering is the best it can be, is as safe as possible, and of course adds value to your experience and to Turning Tides.
Every volunteer regardless of role will have their initial induction. During this induction you be taken through a PowerPoint presentation and be issued with ‘Not Just a Volunteer’ handbook. The induction will cover Professional Boundaries, Safeguarding and Equality and Diversity and be a chance for you to ask any questions.
This role requires the following additional training and we ask that you can commit to this. (The training is in a variety of formats depending on the subject – a video to watch, a document to read or an online course).
The health and safety of our volunteers and supporters are always our top priority. As the situation with COVID-19 evolves, we will ensure any volunteering you carry out is within current Government guidelines. We will support you in this so guidelines are met.
Commitment and Timeframe
- be inclusive and welcoming.
- communicate with staff on duty.
- Enthusiastic and enjoys being part of a busy team.
- be flexible to the needs of the staff member on duty..
- abide by the Confidentiality, Professional Boundaries and Health and Safety Policies at all times.
- fit and able to carry out physical duties such as lifting and moving furniture.
- Full, clean driving licence.
- a driver’s risk assessment will also need to be completed to support you in your role.
Sign Up Process
All of Turning Tides’ roles require applications forms completed and two character references. These references do not need to be employment references, however, we cannot accept references from family members.
We need to ensure you are eligible to volunteer in the UK. To do this we will ask to see documentation that proves your right to volunteer in the UK at your induction.
If you are unable to provide this documentation you will be unable to volunteer. If you have the right to work in the UK on a permanent basis you are also normally allowed to volunteer. If in doubt, please contact the Home Office.
If you have any further queries please contact the Gabriella on: 07749491285 or email@example.com
Volunteer Van Driver
This is our central storage unit where items are stored before being redistributed to our projects. This could be to coastal towns, Shoreham to Littlehampton and also into other areas of Mid Sussex such as Horsham and East Grinstead.